Right now, like so many, Jockey Hollow Bar & Kitchen, in Morristown, NJ, has temporarily closed its doors. But that doesn’t mean that Executive Chef AJ Capella isn’t cooking at home. He recently made these braised short ribs, and shared the recipe with Jersey Bites.
Chef AJ Capella’s Short Ribs
- 4 bone-in short ribs (Chef Capella got his from Fossil Farms.)
- 4 stalks celery, 1½-inch bias cut
- 2 heads garlic, split heads in half
- 2 white onions, sliced, ⅓-inch thick
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 bottle Bordeaux, standard size / 750 ml
- 32 oz beef stock
- 1 oz thyme
- 1 oz oregano
- 1 oz rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 rainbow carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch long cylinders
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, cut into quarters
- 4 oz pancetta
- Allow short ribs to come to room temperature then season liberally with kosher salt and pepper.
- Sear all sides of the meat in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven.
- Remove meat to a cooling rack and put the pancetta in the pan.
- Begin caramelizing the sliced onion, followed by the celery and garlic.
- Once the vegetables are caramelized, add the tomato paste and continue cooking until a deep red color is achieved, about 15 minutes, on medium heat constantly stirring.
- Finally you can add the bottle of red wine with the herbs. Reduce the liquid by half followed by the beef stock.
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil and poor into the cooking vessel.
- Add the short ribs and cook covered in the oven at 350°F for 2½ hours.
- Remove from the oven.
- Add your carrots and potatoes.
- Cover again and cook for another 1½ hours, for a total of 4 hours.
Jockey Hollow Bar & Kitchen is the creation of visionary restaurateur and James Beard Award winner Chris Cannon, along with a team of more than 100 dedicated hospitality professionals. Located in Morristown’s landmark Vail Mansion, the 15,000 square-foot space offers four distinct dining experiences on three levels for guests to explore.
Jockey Hollow Bar and Kitchen
110 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960