This post is brought to you by Kings Food Markets.
We are excited to share this recipe for apple walnut cake from our friends at Kings Food Markets. Made with fresh apples, crunchy walnuts, and matzo cake meal this recipe is great for Passover or as an easy dessert for any celebration.Print
Apple Walnut Cake
- ½ cup coarsely chopped Kings walnuts or Kings pecans
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon or combination of cinnamon, nutmeg mace and ginger
- 3 Kings organic eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup matzo cake meal
- 5 medium Ginger Gold apples, peeled, cored, halved and cut into ½ inch thick slices (about 5 cups)
golden delicious, crispin, or Granny Smith work too
- ⅓ cup Kings raisins (optional)
1. Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. To prepare the topping, mix together the walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
3. To prepare the cake batter, in a bowl, with a mixer beat the eggs on medium until well mixed. Beat in the sugar, about 2 tbsp at a time beating until the mixture is thick and foamy. Beat in the oil adding in a steady stream. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. With the spatula, stir in the matzo cake meal, blending well.
4. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle about half the topping mixture evenly over the batter. Top with half of the apples and all the raisins. Scrape remaining half of batter over the apples, spreading it out to cover the apples. Arrange the remaining apples on top of the batter. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining topping mixture.
5. Bake one hour and 15 minutes or until the sides of the cake pull away very slightly from the baking dish. A cake tester is not reliable. It will not come out clean due to the moist richness of the cake. Let sit in the baking dish for several hours until completely cool.