Executive Chef Gregory Zapantis, of Molos in Weehawken, shared his recipe for pumpkin bulgur and honey fillo pie. Enjoy it with family or friends!
Pumpkin Bulgur and Honey Fillo Pie
3 cups pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced small
1 lb. feta cheese
4 oz honey
1½ tablespoons fresh mint
2 tablespoons bulgur wheat
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1 lb fillo pastry sheets
1. Slice pumpkin into wedges and roast on in a preheated 375° oven for 50 minutes.
2. Allow the pumpkin to cool slightly and then remove the skin and the seeds.
3. Cube the pumpkin and place in a food processor to puree.
4. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
5. Sauté the onion until it is soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin puree with the crumbled feta, eggs, mint, bulgur wheat, honey and season to taste with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
7. Add the onions and mix well.
8. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9. Lightly grease the bottom of a sheet pan with olive oil.
10. Brush a sheet of fillo well with olive oil.
11. Leaving about an inch margin on the sides and bottom of the Fillo sheet, place a thin line of filling (about 3 tbsp.) along the bottom edge.
12. Fold the sides in and begin to roll the bottom edge up to make a tube.
13. Repeat the above step to fill the sheet pan.
14. Bake the pie logs in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until the fillo is golden brown.