Fall is here, whether we like it or not, and with that come the bolder, spiced flavors of the season. To help welcome autumn, here are several seasonally inspired cocktails by some of the area’s top mixologists and restaurants.
Ginger Carrot Coupe
- 1 ½ oz Old Tom gin
- ½ oz Canton ginger
- 1 oz fresh orange juice
- ½ oz fresh carrot juice
- ½ oz lemon juice
- ½ oz simple syrup
- Parsley sprig
- Scoop ice into a pint glass.
- Add gin, Canton ginger, orange juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with parsley sprig.
Harper’s Fall by Strip House at Westminster Hotel, Livingston
Jono Moratis, beverage director
- 3 oz I.W. Harper Kentucky bourbon
- ¾ oz Massenez green apple eau de vie
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously.
- Strain in a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
Indian Summer by Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern, Ho-Ho-Kus
Caitlyn Ritz, head bartender
- 5 oz fig vodka.
- 1 oz fresh brewed Earl Grey tea, chilled.
- 5 oz tangerine juice.
- Mint for garnish.
- Steep your favorite Earl Grey tea (the Inn uses Harney and Sons Earl Grey) in one 8 oz cup of hot water for 5 minutes. Cool in refrigerator.
- Combine all ingredients a shaker with a half cup of ice. Shake, drain ice and pour into a rocks glass filled with ice 2/3 the way up. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint, and enjoy.
Thyme and a Half by Restaurant Serenade, Chatham
John Jansma, GM/Sommelier
- 2 ½ oz vodka
- 1 ½ oz sparkling apple cider
- ½ oz thyme simple syrup
- Apples for garnish
For the simple syrup:
- 12 oz water
- 12 oz brown sugar
- 6 sprigs thyme
Simple syrup directions:
Combine in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Remove the sprigs of thyme. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- With a melon baller, make apple balls and freeze.
- In a mixing glass, combine vodka, simple syrup and apple cider.
- Stir to combine, strain over frozen apple balls and ice.
Caramel Apple Sangria by Morris Tap & Grill, Randolph
- 1 ½ oz caramel vodka
- 2 oz apple cider
- 1 oz white wine
- Splash cinnamon simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon diced apple
- 1 teaspoon diced pear
Cinnamon simple syrup ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 2 for an extra cinnamony flavor)
Simple syrup directions:
Bring the water to a boil, add sugar and stir constantly until completely dissolved, add the cinnamon stick and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool and steep.
Combine all the ingredients over ice, top with Sprite and garnish diced apples and pears.
Sour Orchid by Osteria Morini, Bernardsville
- 2 oz Apple cinnamon-infused whiskey
- ¾ oz lemon juice
- ½ oz ginger honey syrup
- 1 egg white
- Shaved cinnamon, for garnish
- Apple rind wheel, optional, for garnish
- Pour the whiskey, lemon juice, syrup and egg white over ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds and pour into a coupe.
- Sprinkle the cocktail with shaved cinnamon and garnish with the rind, if using.