For this summer’s Jersey Fresh Fridays series, I invited Executive Chef Gregory Zapantis of Molos Restaurant, in Weehawken, to share a Jersey Fresh-friendly recipe. And he delivered! This greens and cheese salad incorporates produce from Jersey Legacy Farms (the cheese is imported from Greece) and is served at Molos, where the food is as fabulous as the waterfront view.
“Though locally sourcing food may be a trend now, back home in Greece it was all about supporting your local farmers and cooking only what was in season and what was available seasonally,” said Zapantis. “I brought those same values stateside, to Molos.” Click here for additional Jersey Bites coverage of Molos.
Legacy Farms Greens & Cheese
Yields 4 to 6 servings
4 cups salad greens (escarole, arugula, romaine or other greens)
6 to 8 radishes, sliced
1 medium red onion medium, peeled and cut into rings
1 small green pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 tomato cut into wedges
1 garlic clove
½ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
10 to 12 Kalamata olives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and dry salad greens.
- Tear greens into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare radishes, onion, green peppers, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Crush garlic cloves and rub around the surface of bowl.
- Add salad greens, olives, cheese, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Sprinkle with red wine vinegar and olive oil. Toss lightly and serve immediately.