Chef Marita Lynn from RUNA Peruvian Cuisine, Red Bank, shared her recipe for alfajores with one very lucky Melissa Beveridge. Make and enjoy these for Christmas, New Year’s, or just for you!
Recipe yields 50 alfajores, serves about 6
¾ cup butter, room temperature
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup Manjar blanco (a.k.a. dulce de leche)*
1. In a bowl, mix together, the flour, butter and sugar. Once mixed, use your hands to create a uniform dough. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 350°F.
3. On a floured surface, making sure to flour your roller, roll the dough to ½- inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out alfajores and place on baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes
5. Let the Alfajores cool on a wire rack.
6. Fill the Alfajores with dulce de leche, sandwich style.
7. Dust with powdered sugar.
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
1 cinnamon stick