Candy: critical to have on hand for Halloween. Costumes: always fun to do. Cocktails: now there’s a Halloween must-do! Here are Halloween-friendly cocktails from several mixologists around the state.
Morris Tap & Grill, Randolph
Ginger Spice Margarita
- 1 ounce silver tequila
- ½ ounce amaretto
- ½ ounce ginger liqueur
- 1 ounce cinnamon simple syrup
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Fill with sour mix
Rim the glass with cinnamon/sugar.
Add all ingredients and shake.
Serve over ice.
Amanti Vino, Montclair
Corpse Reviver, courtesy of Wes Kirk, Crafts Spirits Manager,
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- 1 oz. Lillet Blanc
- 1 oz. gin
- Absinthe rinse on the glass
- Lemon peel for garnish
Shake, strain and serve.
Avenue, Long Branch
Avenue Pumpkin Martini, courtesy of Thierry Carrier, general manager/director of pperations
For pumpkin puree mix:
- 5 oz. pureed pumpkin
- 8 oz. milk
- 2 oz. cream
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Pumpkin puree mix directions:
Combine and blend until smooth.
Makes enough for 7 cocktails.
- 1 oz. Rittenhouse rye
- ½ oz. Sailor Jerry rum
- 2 oz. pumpkin puree mix (see above recipe)
- 1 oz. vanilla syrup
- Orange wedge and nutmeg for garnish
Combine all with ice in a cocktail shaker.
Shake and strain into chilled martini glass.
Garnish with an orange wedge and a dash of nutmeg.
Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern, Ho-Ho-Kus
Haunted Orchard, courtesy of Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern
- 5 oz. Appleton Signature Blend rum
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- 5 oz. apple cider
- 5 oz. ginger beer, chilled
- Lime and apple slices for garnish
Shake with ice, drain and pour into glass.
Garnish with lime wedge and slice of apple.
The Ryland Inn, Whitehouse Station
Zombie Jamboree Punch, courtesy of Andrew Johnston, bar manager/head bartender
- 12 oz. overproof rum
- 12 oz. dark spiced rum
- 12 oz. cinnamon syrup
- 6 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 6 oz. fresh pressed pineapple juice
- 20-25 dashes Angostura bitters
Mix ingredients and serve in punch bowl garnished with half-moons of lemon and orange.
Serves 20 to 25.
Spuntino Wine Bar & Italian Tapas, Clifton
Stormy Apple, courtesy of Spuntino Wine Bar & Italian Tapas
- ¾ oz. El Dorado spiced rum
- ½ oz. Laird’s Applejack brandy
- ½ oz. Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
- Splash lemon juice
- 2 oz. Red Jacket apple juice
- Garnish dried apple wheel
- Fill pint glass with ice. Add spiced rum, Laird’s Applejack Brandy and Domaine de Canton ginger liquor to pint glass. Add splash of lemon juice and top with apple juice.
- Add contents of pint glass into cocktail shaker and shake vigorously.
- Fill highball glass with ice.
- Strain contents of cocktail shaker on top of ice in highball glass.
- Garnish with an Apple Wheel
The Shannon Rose Irish Pub, Clifton
Pumpkin Martini, courtesy of The Shannon Rose
Simple syrup ingredients:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 vanilla sticks
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1½ oz. Skyy Vanilla Vodka
- ½ oz. White Crème de Cocoa
- ¼ oz. vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg simple syrup
- 1 oz. Carolan’s Irish Cream
For simple syrup:
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow syrup to cool, then strain to remove cinnamon sticks.
For pumpkin martini:
- Add all ingredients into a mixing glass.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with powdered cinnamon.
The Orange Squirrel Restaurant, Bloomfield
Jack’s Lantern, courtesy of the Orange Squirrel
- 2 oz. Bailey’s irish cream
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Jack Daniels (and some for soaking marshmallows)
- Take a small (mini) pumpkin cut off top. Hollow out center – remove and discard seeds and pulp. Set pumpkin and top aside.
- In a shaker with ice place 2 oz. Baily’s Irish Cream just a pinch just ground nutmeg, a pinch just ground cinnamon, a pinch of freshly ground cardamom plus 1 oz. Jack Daniels shake and strain into hollowed mini pumpkin.
- Top with mini marshmallows that have been soaked with Jack Daniel’s and light on fire to toast marshmallows. Serve with a small spoon.
Bin 14, Hoboken
Bin 14 Apple Cider, courtesy of Bin 14
- 1½ oz. Lemon Bootlegger vodka
- ¾ oz. organic maple syrup
- ¼ oz. Sorel Hibiscus liqueur
- ¼ oz. Balsam American Amaro
- ½ oz. Rock town apple whiskey
- 1 oz. Cidre Bouche sparkling cider
- ½ oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. cranberry juice
- Old Salt Merchants Jamaican ginger sugar rim
- Fuji apple garnish
Directions: Combine all the ingredients and serve over ice.
- 2 oz. pumpkin spice coffee infused Main Street vodka
- ¾ oz. vanilla bean infused Main Street vodka
- 3½ oz. half and half
- ¾ oz. simple syrup
Combine and serve on ice in a glass with a graham cracker rim, garnished with shaved dark chocolate on top.
Glass: Chilled martini glass
- 1 ¼ oz. whipped cream vodka
- ½ oz. sour mix
- 2 oz. pineapple juice (shake)
- ½ oz. grenadine
Chill martini glass with ice and soda water.
Fill mixing glass 2/3 full with ice.
Pour ingredients into mixing glass in order listed (except for the grenadine).
Cap with mixing tin and shake for 4 seconds.
Remove mixing tin.
Strain liquid into chilled martini glass.
Slowly pour grenadine down the side of the glass so it sinks to the bottom.
Garnish with 3-inch pyramid of whipped cream.
Crystal Springs Resort, Hardyston
The Vampire’s Transfusion, courtesy of Mixologist Stephen Thomas
- ½ oz. Sour Cherry Reduction (made in house)
- ½ oz. Blood Orange Juice
- 1oz Agave
- ½ oz. Fresh Lime
- 1 oz. Ilegal Mezcal Reposado (Died black using housemade beet and kale dye)
Fill rocks glass with ice.
On the side fill a test tube with cherry, orange and lime juice.
Place in rocks glass.
On the side fill a plastic syringe with agave and Mezcal.
Upon service pour the test tube over ice and squeeze the syringe (in that order).
Harvest Julep, Courtesy of Cavalry Bourbon
- 1 ½ ounce Cavalry Bourbon
- 1 ½ ounce St Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- 1 ½ ounce Cranberry Juice
- Candied cranberries, for Garnish
Directions: Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker and pour over crushed ice. Garnish with 3 or 4 candied cranberries