Grape to Know You
Grüner Veltliner is a white grape grown primarily in Austria. This grape is also gaining in popularity in Oregon and New Zealand and various other regions globally.
While Grüner Veltliner is found all over Austria, the bottles you’ll find at your local wine store will be from the Wachau, Kamptal, Kremstal and Weinvertel regions.
Grüner Veltliner’s a very food-friendly wine that pairs well with a wide range of dishes. Some pairing options are roasted chicken, grilled fish or light salads.
This wine offers perfumed aromas with very typical white pepper notes. The flavors are of green apple with some stone fruit undertones. While most often a medium-bodied wine, it can be bolder. Grüner Veltliner is dry with nice levels of acidity and overall freshness.
Here are five affordable Grüner Veltliners:
- 2012 Hirsch Gruener Veltliner #1 – $12.99
- 2011 Domane Wachau Federspiel Terrassen Gruner Veltliner – $16.99
- 2011 Fred Loimer Gruner Veltliner Kamptal – $12.99
- 2012 Kurt Angerer Gruner Veltliner Kies – $15.99
- 2011 Hirsch Gruner Veltliner Heiligenstein – $23.99
Here are a few of our favorite New Jersey wine shops selling some of these wines:
- Gary’s Wine – Bernardsville, Madison and Wayne
- Amanti Vino – Montclair
- Heights Beer and Wine Emporium – Hasbrouck Heights
- Bottle King – Multiple locations statewide
- Tewksbury Fine Wine & Spirits – Oldwick
- Joe Canal’s – Multiple locations in South Jersey
- Princeton Corkscrew – Princeton
Click here for additional information on Austrian Gruner Veltliner.
Veronique Deblois, Food & Wine Chickie: Veronique is a food and wine writer based in Morris County. As the author of the popular blog, Food & Wine Chickie Insider, Veronique shares recipes, wine and restaurant reviews and insight into the travel industry, of which she’s a 15-year veteran. Follow Veronique on Twitter or like her Facebook page.