On Day 8 of our 12 Days of Cookies, try this recipe from Amanda Waters: traditional peanut butter cookie sandwiches with peanut butter buttercream, decorated for the Christmas season.
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
green sugar crystals
2 sticks butter, softened
¼ cup peanut butter, smooth
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tsp milk
¼ tsp salt
red gel food coloring (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Beat butter, shortening, and sugars in bowl of your mixer on low speed. Add in the peanut butter and beat on medium high until fluffy and light.
2. Add in eggs and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and continue to beat.
3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Slowly add in the flour mixture while beating on low until the dough is well mixed.
4. Scoop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets using cookie scoops or spoons. Flatten using your hand. Place christmas tree shaped cookie press insert or other desired stencil on cookie and cover with sugar crystals. Dust excess sugar off and remove stencil. Continue with each cookie.
5. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes then remove and let cool before filling.
6. While cookies cool, beat butter and powdered sugar in mixer til smooth. Add in peanut butter, vanilla, milk, and salt. Continue to beat until light and fluffy. If your frosting is too stiff, add another tsp milk.
7. Pipe or spread frosting on bottom of cookie and sandwich with another cookie. Enjoy!
Amanda Waters is thrilled to be working with Jersey Bites for Sussex county, with occasional stops in other counties along the way. Her passion for “all things food” stemmed from growing up in an Italian-American kitchen. A lifelong Jersey girl, she only left for college and then returned to Sussex County. She is newly married to her husband, who is the ultimate food taster, traveler, and photographing companion. She also writes her food blog, Our Italian Kitchen, where she shares family recipes and fun cooking adventures. She enjoys utilizing yummy produce and food grown locally in her cooking.