If you love lamb, you are going to want to kiss me for this recipe. I once got an email from a reader who told me that I had made him a hero among his friends when he served this chili at a party. I don’t think I’ve ever seen lamb chili on a menu at a restaurant and I don’t know why. Lamb burgers have certainly become popular. Maybe this recipe will be the inspiration my favorite restaurants need. I hope so.
The Best Lamb Chili Recipe Ever
Ground lamb and black beans with sauteed onion, peppers, tomatoes, cumin, oregano and dried mint. Serve with a garnish of fresh chopped mint and crumbled goat cheese. Delish!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs. ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (19 oz.) can black beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 chipotle pepper, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crumbled goat cheese
- chopped fresh mint
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- Saute onion and peppers until tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add garlic during the last few minutes.
- Add ground lamb, oregano, cumin, and mint. Brown meat and add about a teaspoon of salt.
- Add the rest of the ingredients up to and including chipotle pepper and stir.
- Simmer for at least an hour, tasting periodically.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with crumbled goat cheese and chopped fresh mint.
The fresh mint and goat cheese on top are not optional—in my opinion—but if you’re avoiding dairy, leave the cheese out. You will still adore this recipe.