Lamb burgers are one of my favorite types of burgers, especially during the summer months when my garden is bursting with fresh mint and basil.
If you’re a lamb lover, this is a great way to get your fix without breaking the bank.
I like my lamb a little pink in the middle. These guys were done perfectly at 10 minutes total on the grill, which does run hot. I also use pickled red onions because I love the sweet and tang they bring to the end result. If you’d rather use raw yellow or Vidalia onion, that works just fine too.
Mint jelly may be the default condiment for lamb, but honestly I can’t stand it and with fresh mint in the burger, I like to top my burger with with a little heat and sweet as in Pepper Jelly.
If you love lamb, you’ve got to try this one.
Best Lamb Burgers with Fresh Mint and Basil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup minced pickled red onion (or regular yellow onion)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh Mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 burger buns
- Combine all ingredients except rolls in a large bowl and mix until evenly combined. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium heat. Once the grill is hot, cook burgers about 10 minutes (5 minutes per side) or until juices run clear and patties are firm to the touch.
- Place lamb burgers on buns, top with Pepper Jelly or toppings of choice and serve.