Before the summer wraps up, you have to try this delicious baked beans recipe. They go great with our baby-back ribs.
The Butter Beans can sometimes be hard to find, but they are worth the search. In my local grocery store, they sometimes go by the name Limagrands (and it’s the Superfine brand). I find them at Wegman’s on a regular basis too.
- 1 large can (28 ounce size) baked beans
- 1 can (15 ounce size) butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounce size) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 - 8 strips of bacon, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sauteed in bacon dripping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the onion to the bacon drippings and saute until translucent.
- Add beans to onions and stir to combine.
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Grease a 3-quart casserole dish or large cast iron skillet and pour in beans.
- Pour over sauce and stir to combine with bacon and beans.
- Bake for 1 hour until heated through, or heat in a crock pot for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Or simmer on low on the stove for 45 minutes.