Now that we’re up to Day 4 of the 12 Days of Cookies, it seemed like time for a healthy twist. Give Hillary Irwin’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies a try!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup butter
½ cup coconut oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
½ cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon chunky sea salt
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (NOT quick oats)
1 ¾ cups dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine flaxseed and water and set aside.
3. Beat butter, coconut oil and sugars together for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in flaxseed/water mixture and vanilla.
5. Gradually beat in flour, wheat germ, baking soda and sea salt.
6. Add in oats and mix well. Add in chocolate chips.
7. Drop by tablespoon onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (flatten out a little before cooking, the batter will be very stiff).
8. Bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly brown.
9. Move to cookie rack to cool completely.
Yields about 3 dozen cookies, depending on the size of each scoop.
Hillary Irwin is a registered dietitian and the founder of Simply Beautiful Mom, a nutrition counseling and consulting practice based in New Jersey. In her practice, Hillary counsels children, adolescents and adults on many nutrition issues, with a focus on clean, balanced eating and weight management. She is an expert at teaching clients how to fit proper eating and healthful cooking into a frantic lifestyle, taking the busiest of the busy and teaching how simple changes can create fantastic results. Hillary holds a B.S. in Nutritional Sciences with a concentration in Dietetics from Cornell University and a Master’s Degree in Applied Anatomy and Physiology from Boston University. She is an active member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND—formerly the American Dietetic Association), the New Jersey Dietetic Association, and various Dietetic Practice Groups of the AND, including Nutrition Entrepreneurs, Sports Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutrition and Weight Management. Hillary lives in Westfield with her husband, Greg, her two children, Oscar and Lola, and their dog Willard. She loves food, traveling, cooking and spending time with her family.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 Jersey Bites